Can you imagine your business reaching over 2 billion people around the world?
You can with a Facebook business page. With nearly 3 billion active users (as of 2021), Facebook is the largest social network in the world and whether you own a pop-up shop or a Fortune 500 company, having an active Facebook business page can help you promote your products and/or services, connect with customers, find new potential customers and generate sales.
Follow this simple guide to set-up your Facebook business page today!
What is a Facebook business page?
A Facebook business page is a free public Facebook account that can be used to promote the company’s products and/or services, communicate with customers, advertise to potential customers through its paid advertising network and generate sales. Creating a Facebook business page is easy and requires no prior website development or coding experience. If you’re already a Facebook user yourself, making a page for your business will be a piece of cake!
Why should I use Facebook to promote my business?
A recent Hootsuite report found that over a third of the world’s population over age 13 is on Facebook, as well as 68% of adults in the U.S. These statistics demonstrate that Facebook is still an important social media channel to promote your business and keep new and existing customers engaged with your product or service.
Here are some of the most important benefits of creating an official business page on Facebook:
- Connects your brand to new customers. Experts agree that Facebook is one of the most important social networks to connect your brand or business with new customers. The network offers plenty of free business tools to grow your customer list and generate more income through sales.
- Improves client communication and brand messaging. Having a Facebook business page can allow you to communicate any important information about your business with your customers in the blink of an eye. The page can allow you to promote any new product or service launches, sales, or any relevant information about your business. It also allows customers to communicate with your business directly through page comments, business reviews or private messages.
- Improves web page visits and optimizes SEO. A Facebook business page can be a great SEO optimization tool. SEO can be boosted by linking your business website to your Facebook business page. Also, your new Facebook business page will appear as a Google search result, increasing new visits to your Facebook page and your business’s website.
- Gives you access to an effective, low-cost advertising network. Traditional advertising channels, such as radio and television, are generally much more expensive than social media ads. Facebook’s advertising platform provides businesses with the opportunity to create ads within the Facebook and Instagram networks and tailor them to a very specific audience. Facebook Ads manager provides businesses with several ways to create ads, however one of the most common ad models is cost-per-click (CPC), which allows businesses to pay a very small amount of money for every click on their ad.
- Helps you create targeted marketing strategies. Facebook provides business owners with the chance to learn more about their customers. Page Insights allows you to not only analyze how your page performs, but also provides you with unique information about your customers, such as which posts they engage with the most, their demographic information and what time of the day they are most active. Having this information on hand can guide you on developing a more targeted marketing strategy and improve the effectiveness of your campaigns.
Set up a Facebook business page in just 5 steps
Now that you know how beneficial a Facebook business page can be, it’s time to set one up! You can do so following these five simple steps detailed below:
1. Log in to your personal Facebook account
First, you need to log in to your personal Facebook account using your email address or phone number and password. If you don’t have a personal Facebook account or want to create a new personal Facebook account, follow the detailed steps here.
2. Create a business page
After logging in, click on the “Pages” button located on the left sidebar of the homepage (this button has an orange flag icon).
Then, click on the “Create A New Page” button if you’re on a computer or the “+Create” button if you’re using the Facebook mobile app.
A new page will open and take you to a blank Facebook page template. From here, you’ll need to fill in your business’s page information.
3. Choose your Page Name, Category, & Description
Enter your page's business information and fill in the fields listed below:
- Page name. This field should be the name of your business, personal brand or organization. It’s not recommended to use special characters in this field, such as emojis or accents, since it can make it difficult for customers to find the page.
- Category. The category section helps your customers know what products or services your business, personal brand or organization offers. You can add up to three words to describe your business. For example, if you own a restaurant, you can use basic or more specific words such as “caterer”, “restaurant” or “seafood restaurant”. You can type in any word and the page will show you the most relevant words available to describe your business.
- Description. As the name implies, you can use this section to provide more detail about what your business does and the products or services you offer. Keep in mind that this section has a 255 character limit so be brief and concise. Also, be sure to check for any grammatical or spelling errors. These types of mistakes can create a negative image of your business.
- Address. If your business has a physical address, be sure to include it here so that your customers can find you. If you don’t have a physical store or office, check off the box “I don’t want to add an address”.
Once you have filled this information, click on the “Create Page” button at the bottom of the screen. If you are creating your business page through the Facebook app, click on “Done”.
4. Add a profile picture & cover photo
The profile and cover photos are two of the most important elements of your Facebook business page. The profile picture should have your business logo and the cover photo should highlight an image that best represents your business, such as a product or people offering a service. For example, if your business is a restaurant, a professional picture of your most popular dish would be a captivating cover photo. Before uploading your profile and cover photos, make sure that they are 1) clear, 2) high-quality and 3) formatted to the correct image sizes, as recommended by Facebook.
5. Personalize your page
Your page is now set up and published! Once you have completed the previous step, you’ll receive a notification from Facebook indicating that your page is now active. From here, you can continue to build upon your page and grow your audience through page customization, adding special features, inviting friends to follow your page, promoting your page through Facebook ads and much more!
How to promote my business on Facebook
Now that you have a business page on Facebook, you need to find ways to grow your audience, keep them engaged and increase sales. Here are a few steps you can take to actively grow your page and promote your services and/or products on Facebook:
1. Attract followers
There are several ways you can attract more followers to your page. Increase your page engagement using some of the most effective tactics as recommended by Hootsuite:
- Use relevant keywords. Keywords are words that people search for on the Internet when researching a product or service. When used on your website or Facebook business page, they can help new customers discover your business. Do some research on your industry’s top keywords and add them across different elements of your page’s About section. Again, watch out for any grammatical or spelling errors, as they can create a negative image of your business.
- Engage with your followers. Most people in the United States are exposed to around 6,000 to 10,000 ads per day. As a result, many businesses' marketing efforts can make consumers feel overwhelmed. One effective way to overcome this and stand out is through customer engagement, which means responding to followers when they comment on a post or send your business a private message.
- Add video content. A recent study by promo.com found that Facebook is the top video platform. While you can set aside some of your marketing budget for professional video creation, you can also use your smartphone to create your own video content for your business. Some of the top video features you can use are Facebook Live for streaming and Facebook Stories for short-form video content. Be creative!
- Use Facebook Insights. Facebook Insights is a tool on your business page that provides important information about your followers, such as demographic information (age, gender, location), the top performing posts and even the time of day customers are most likely to engage with a post. Use this tool to learn more about your customers and develop more targeted content and advertising strategies.
2. Develop a content strategy
Now that you’re attracting new followers to your Facebook business page, it’s time to keep them engaged! Create a content strategy for your business by creating high-quality posts that get the attention of your customers and promote your products and/or services. If you need some inspiration, here are some of the top forms of content you can share on your page:
- User-generated content. User-generated content (UGC) are photos or videos of a customer showing their appreciation for a business product or service. A great example of UGC is Apple's "Shot on iPhone'' campaign. This was a global campaign that showcased all of the incredible images that iPhone customers created using just their phones. Inspire your customers to show their love and appreciation for your product or service in a creative way! Remember, if you share any customer’s photo or image, you must get their permission before posting.
- Live streaming. This is one of the most popular ways to keep your customers engaged with your business. The Facebook Live feature allows you to engage with customers in real-time and create live conversation around a new product or service.
- Business & news updates. Do you have a new employee you want to spotlight? Or is there a news update related to your business? Then, share it! While your followers love and appreciate your products, it’s recommended that you also promote other aspects of your business, such as new employees, interesting news updates, special events or even webinars.
- Customer testimonials. Testimonials are by far one of the most trusted sources of content. Studies show that around 70% of customers will read 1 to 6 business reviews before making a purchase. Encourage your current customers to leave positive reviews on your Facebook business page.
- How-to guides. One of the best ways to engage with a customer is to teach them something new! Create content that is useful to your customer by giving them more insight about a particular service or product. For example, if you own a taco restaurant, create a video on how locals in Mexico eat tacos. If you’re a tailor, share helpful tips on how to dress for any occasion. The possibilities are endless and your customers are eager to learn!
3. Get your followers engaged
Engagement is how your page followers interact with your page and posts. A high engagement rate is key to your business page’s success. Increase engagement with these types of content:
- Polls. People like to express their opinion. Facebook polls are a fun way to get your customer’s opinion on a product or service, while increasing engagement on your page. Be sure to avoid sensitive or controversial topics, as they can create negative feelings around your business or brand.
- Ask questions. One of the most simple methods to increase engagement and get customer feedback is by asking questions as a post on your page. Be sure to keep all questions fun, light-hearted and brief.
- Encourage feedback. Encourage your customers to engage with your business by asking for their feedback at the end of posts. For example, if you own a bakery and share a picture of a new type of bread you offer, ask customers to share what their favorite bread is or how they enjoy eating their bread.
4. Create personalized content using Facebook Insights
This is an essential tool for all business owners. With Facebook Insights, you can track how well your posts are performing, learn more about your audience, and manage new activity on your page. This data is essential for developing effective marketing strategies for your business, so make time to review it often. There are four tabs in this feature:
- Overview. This tab contains an overview of your page’s performance and features a summary of page Results, Content and Audience.
- Results. The Results tab provides you with a more detailed report of your page’s Reach. Reach refers to the total number of unique visitors you had on your business page and on your page’s content (including stories, ads, social information and more). This includes both page followers and new visitors. Reach is depicted in the form of a graph and shows the number of unique visitors overall per day. This is a great way to see if your overall strategy is working and which days of the week are the most popular for your business page.
- Content. In this section, you can get detailed information on the performance of your posts, from the most recent to the earliest. Here are four important factors to review when analyzing content engagement:
- Reach. Similar to the reach of your page, post reach is limited to the number of people that viewed that specific piece of content. This helps you understand what type of content is most attractive to your audience.
- Likes and reactions. This shows the total number of reactions on your individual post. The Likes and Reactions metric is easy to review and helps you understand which type of content generates a reaction.
- Comments. This metric shows the total number of comments on a particular post. Remember that comments can be positive or negative, so pay attention to posts with lots of comments and learn what type of reaction your customer has to the post.
- Shares. The Shares metric shows how many shares your post had. This is another important insight to measure as it can show how interesting a post or content piece is. If you want your content to go viral (organically shared to many people in a short amount of time), you should try to focus on increasing this number.
- Audience. The Audience tab allows you to see important demographic data about your current audience and your potential audience. You can review important data points regarding your followers’ location (by country, state, region, or city), age, gender, interests, and language. Leverage your audience data to develop targeted content and marketing strategies that resonate well with your current and potential audience.
Tips on growing your Facebook business page
Set up your new Facebook business page for success! Follow these five expert tips on growing your page and maintaining it over time:
- Create captivating profile and cover images. Have you heard the phrase: “a picture is worth a thousand words”? When it comes to your Facebook business page, it’s absolutely true! The Profile and cover images are the first elements of your page that people will be exposed to, so go the extra mile in making sure they are high-quality and represent your business well.
- Reply to your customers as soon as possible. Let’s face it, nobody likes waiting. It’s critical to respond to all positive and even negative comments, messages or reviews in a timely manner. This not only serves as a customer service opportunity, but also shows current or potential customers that your business cares, increasing engagement over time. Also, keep in mind that Facebook shows its users the average response time for each Business or Brand page, so try to respond as fast as possible.
- Focus on visual content. Video posts are generally some of the most engaged pieces of content on Facebook, followed by images and text. Incorporate video elements to your page often so that you can see faster growth and engagement on your business page.
- Please review default images before publishing links. Whenever you share a URL to an external website, Facebook automatically generates a preview image that it fetches from the destination page. Before hitting “publish”, review the default image and replace it with a more attractive one if necessary.
- Invest in advertising. Facebook has advertising options for all budgets. Consider investing some of your marketing budget on Facebook ads to grow your audience and promote your products and/ or services.
How can I connect my Instagram account to my Facebook business page?
If you already have an Instagram business profile, you can connect it to your Facebook business page! Just follow these simple steps below:
- Log in to your Facebook account.
- Click on the "Pages" tab and select your business page.
- Then, click on "Settings".
- Select the option that says "Instagram".
- Click on the "Connect Account" button and enter your Instagram username and password.
- Update your business email address, phone number, and address and click “Done”.
Congrats, you’ve created a Facebook business page!
Remember that your Facebook presence does not stop here. In order to gain all the benefits of a business page, you need to stay committed to creating timely content, engaging with your customers and reviewing your page Insights often.
If you have any questions about the materials we’ve shared today, feel free to contact our SABEResPODER team! We are always happy to assist you and provide you with the information you need to succeed.